Archaeological Geographic Information System (GIS) Internship
The African American Civil War Memorial Freedom Foundation has two summer intern positions available for 2012 in archaeological GIS. The positions are on a volunteer basis. The interns will be taught how to conduct geophysical survey and GIS mapping using ArcGIS. The interns are required for two years post internship to assist the Museum on volunteer basis with Archaeological GIS consultations.
Description of the Internship
With the assistance of Museum staff, the intern will create maps for curated archaeological collections using ArcGIS. The intern will convert GPS data, transfer database information into attributes tables, and create maps for museum exhibits and public outreach. In addition, the interns will help conduct historical background research on the sites, which will aid in the creating of the GIS maps and inform the interpretation of the maps.
Objectives of the Internship
· To teach interns how to conduct archaeological surveys and translate the information in GIS data
· To provide assistance to Museum staff and outside researchers in the use of collections, including retrieval of spatial information
· Supervisor: Director of Education
· Record Keeping: The intern will maintain a record of hours worked on the project.
· Work Schedule: To be determined by the intern and supervisor.
· Evaluations: The intern will meet periodically with the supervisor to review progress. The supervisor at the end of the internship will make a final evaluation. Evaluation will be based on the intern’s reliability and ability to follow directions and complete tasks in a timely manner.
· Other conditions: The intern is expected to comply with all requirements of collections policy, security, and public relations applicable to regular staff.
· Ability to work effectively with Museum personnel
· Knowledge of MS Excel, Word, and Photoshop CS
· Knowledge of ArcGIS 9.1x and relational database fundamentals.
· Bachelor's degree in computer science, GIS, graphic design, archaeology or related discipline.
To apply send a cover letter and resume to Dawn Chitty, Director of Education via email at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 20, 2012. For more information please contact Ms. Chitty at 202-667-2667.
|Next topic: "Employers discriminate against long-term unemployed: happening in CRM?"|
|Previous topic: "THATCamp for Computational Archaeology"|
|Looking for something else? Show recent posts in Discussion|