Topic ID #25953 - posted 1/3/2013 3:34 PM

SHPO directory application necessary?


So I've just relocated to New Mexico and have applied for a CRM position (I've just finished my M.A. course load and am now just working on my thesis, I have both graduate and undergraduate field schools, lots of lab work and a little bit of field tech. work). The company wants to know if I can be added to their state permit, and I think they are asking if I am in the shpo directory of qualified personnel. Am I correct in assuming my acceptance would not be necessary for field tech. work, but would be for a crew chief/supervisory position? I have read and totally understand people's frustration at new M.A.'s coming out of school and being hired as crew chiefs, personally I would rather work a few jobs at least in the field before I'm supervising. I am considering writing back and specifying that I would prefer a field tech. job prior to applying to the shpo. But for whenever I do apply, the application requires a work experience chart- which I have never done before. Should I include all experience including school and voluntary, or just work for which I was paid?

Thanks, I am (obviously) new to the CRM world so I appreciate any help I can get.

Post ID#19910 - replied 1/4/2013 5:51 AM


It's tough to say and hopefully I'm not reading through the lines too much...

It sounds like they either want you for a supervisory position or at least would like to groom you for one.  Honestly, don't worry about what others might think about a supervisor fresh out of grad school, that's on them. 

I'm not entirely sure what it means to be on their "state permit", I'm assuming it's some kind of qualified consultants list for the state, with key personnel who meet SOI standards, as well as in-state standards.  As far as I'm aware, every state has standards for PIs, and several have guidelines for supervisors working under a PI.

I would just explain your situation, ask for clarification regarding their state permit, and tell them when you anticipate getting your thesis defended, and getting your MA awarded.  Unless the application specifically excludes volunteer work, I'd include all of your experience.

Post ID#19911 - replied 1/4/2013 10:33 AM


Having worked in NM, the process goes something like this--you need to have a certain number of days worked in various regions of the state, most of which needs to be survey, although excavation and report writing count as well. When you get the experience, you can be listed on the company's permit as a field director (crew chief) in those areas where you have the experience. In order to have your own permit, you need the MA. The work experience chart is not a big deal, it's just a listing of what projects you've done in what BLM districts, for how many days. Of course, if you don't have any experience, it's a lot tougher. Just take whatever tech jobs you can get, and pile up those days of experience!

--Archaeovagrant, permitted in SE NM

PS-They aren't hiring, are they? I could use the work!

Post ID#19915 - replied 1/8/2013 6:01 PM


Thanks for your replies. I have been offered the job, but it looks like a solo project, just a simple survey around a cell phone tower. The company has asked that I give them a quote for what I would like to be paid for the project, including per diem and a travel allowance. I am not sure how to respond. I am guessing the project will only take a day or two, so should I just decide on an hourly wage at the higher end for a field tech and project a day or two with one night's motel stay?  I didn't know this was a common practice! 

Post ID#19916 - replied 1/8/2013 6:57 PM


What's the area you are talking about? Half an acre? A single cell tower location shouldn't take more than an hour to survey, unless there is a cultural site to document. A slim chance, but always possible. So really, you are looking at hardly more than the travel time to and from the project area, plus a food allowance and the cost of a hotel room, if it's far enough to justify an overnight stay. Personally, I would ask for $15-20 an hour, depending on experience.

It's not common practice. It sounds like a mom and pop operation to me--probably with no office set up in the region and operating with little to no overhead OR maybe they're not permitable in New Mexico.

Post ID#19921 - replied 1/9/2013 10:44 AM



Some discussion on the job environment can be found here, where you can find links to Federal standards for prevailing wage, per diem, mileage, et cetera. Don't worry that these are federal standards if your project is not federally connected - though with the cell tower, there's likely an FCC connection....



Visit our Employment Network websites: - - For information on advertising on this website, contact