Topic ID #38542 - posted 7/27/2017 9:31 AM

Help for foreign national!



To give some background to my plight, I'm a British commercial archaeologist with a BSc in Archaeology and two years of fieldwork under my belt. However my partner is an airman in the US airforce stationed in the U.K. who will be returning to the US in April of next year, specifically Arizona. I'm looking into the possibility of making the jump with him, and I don't want 5 years of hard work to go down the drain! Although April is still a fair time in the future I'm worried about how long the visa process will take so I'm starting to look at my options now! 
I feel like I've 'done' the whole moving between companies on temporary contracts thing, and I'd really like a full time permanent supervisor contract in Arizona , although from looking at the various job posts on here that is looking very unlikely. 
Any advice on visas and how the archaeology career market works would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you!
Romy ! 

Post ID#20896 - replied 7/29/2017 5:44 PM


Get a fiancee visa, and then get married when you get here. You will then be able to work, like a citizen. Otherwise, your chances are slim, or none.

Post ID#20897 - replied 8/1/2017 10:33 AM


Hi Romy, 
rkeyo is pretty much right - there aren't a lot of options to just come and work unfortunately. If you're ready to move to another country for this fellow then you might just be ready to marry him - and that would make the whole process much easier. 

Also if by some slim chance you happen to have duel-citizenship with Australia, you can possibly come in with an E-3 visa.

As for landing yourself a permanent job here, you're really gonna have to start from the bottom again. Pick up a few traveling jobs so you can show that you have US archaeology experience. Alternatively, you'll have an easier job getting perm jobs if you have a Master's degree. You could always try and go for an American university for that - you'll be able to come over on a student visa (easier than trying to find an applicable work one), and once you have your degree I believe that opens up more doors for different immigration options.

Hope this helps and all works out for you!

Post ID#20898 - replied 8/5/2017 9:35 AM


As far as jumping on a full time supervisory position in Arizona.. How much do you know about SW archaeology? There are laws that govern the practice of archaeology in the US, within that there are standards in place to secure that the destructive science of archaeology is done in the most beneficial way to advance our knowledge of prehistory. Look up what it means to be permitted to supervise a crew in AZ and give some thought to how long it will take for you to get there. Additionally, there are 3 major universities in AZ alone that all offer programs up to PhD and there are people graduating from those programs every year. How long is it going to take you to catch up to them? Is this fellow worth it? If you still think so, the paperwork would be easier/ faster to process if you get married in UK first and apply based on existing marriage rather than intention to marry (fiancee visa). Also, give some thought to the fact that relationships do go south sometimes and you might find yourself thoroughly fucked when they do.. You could just as well live a nice life where you are instead of living the life of a foreigner. Just find another bloke...

Post ID#20899 - replied 8/6/2017 4:45 PM


Actually, Delenn74, the financee visa only takes about 6 months, and a spouse visa is a year, sometimes more. Go figure...

Post ID#20900 - replied 8/7/2017 7:37 PM


I did say get married over there, didn't I? The difference between the two is that one is processed by the US embassy in country in question that only deals with apps coming in from that country rather than USCIS in the US dealing with ALL apps coming in from all over the world plus domestic apps.. and btw.. Marriage only makes you (conditional) permanent resident, you can only apply for naturalization after being legally in the country for years.. In case of marriage to a US citizen your first step towards citizenship is to remove conditional status of permanent residency after 2 years. This is the phase where you need to prove that marriage was entered into in good faith and you are actually living a married life not a sham... But a permanent resident is in deed authorized to work 'like a citizen' other than the fact that federal jobs are only open to citizens. Meaning a job with federal government directly. You can work for a private company doing a federal contract and even some state jobs, depending on state I guess. Obviously private market is fair game. 

Considering these limitations green card is hardly 'the golden ticket' for an archaeologist. With the service contracts in place these days you won't be seeing fed pay for years. Also relationships with non archies rarely work. And if you end up breaking up before naturalization you need to qualify on your own and in all likelihood you're going to be too broke to even pay the fees. After a decade you might think that going back might be the best but then you realize that while you were paying social security and all that good stuff to America and as a shovelbum not even having 401k, you're never getting that money back and you weren't earning retirement over there either...

And on a side note, if you apply for student/exchange visa and mention your boyfriend/fiancee is US citizen, they will see you as 'intending immigrant' and deny your visa because they have reason to believe you will stay in the country illegally beyond that visa. 

Post ID#20901 - replied 8/12/2017 3:26 AM


Well you've definitely given me a lot to think


Visit our Employment Network websites: - - For information on advertising on this website, contact